Zu den Inhalten springen

International Medical Services & Business Development

Official Site of the Medical Center – University of Freiburg

Our history

The medical faculty can be traced back to 1457, thus making it one of the oldest and most distinguished faculties in Germany.

In 1751, the medical faculty started out as a charity medical institution – the first general clinic (Allgemeines Kranken-Spital) was established. Construction of the main clinic campus began in 1926. After suffering extensive damage in World War II, it was reconstructed according to the original plans while also being expanded in subsequent years through the addition of satellite clinics.

Milestones

  • 1457Founding of the University Freiburg by Archduke Albrecht VI. of Austria
  • 1751The medical faculty takes charge of the health care in the infirmary for the poor located in the Gerberau
  • 1780Construction of the Allgemeines Kranken-Spital (General Infirmary for the Ill) in the college Sapientiae situated on Herrenstraße
  • 1829Opening of the Klinisches Hospital (Clinical Hospital) on Albertstraße
  • 1868 - 1911Formation of the clinics for women, Ophthalmology, Pediatrics, Surgery, as well as the outpatient clinic in the present Institute Quarter
  • 1887Opening of the Psychiatric Clinic on Hauptstrasse of the then suburban city of Herdern
  • 1922Conversion of the Garrison Military Hospital in Herdern into the Dermatology Clinic
  • 1926 - 1931Construction of the Medical and Surgical Hospitals on Hugstetter Straße
  • 27.11.1944Destruction of virtually all institutes and clinics in the course of a heavy air raid
  • 1948 - 1953Reconstruction of the Surgical, Medical and Gynecological Hospitals
  • after 1953Design and construction of all other clinic buildings within the area of Hugstetter Straße
  • 1949 - 1990sThe Medical Center – University of Freiburg develops into a first-class medical center with specialized clinics and institutes dedicated to all fields of medicine
  • 1998The Medical Center – University of Freiburg becomes an independent public-law institution
  • 2000International Medical Services & International Business Development (IMS) is founded by the Board of Directors of the Medical Center – University of Freiburg.
  • 2006Establishment of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Freiburg, listed as one of the top Centers of Excellence for Oncology in Germany by the German Cancer Aid (Deutsche Krebshilfe)
  • 2009Establishment of the Center of Excellence for Chronic Immunodeficiency in Freiburg (CCI)
  • 2012Inauguration of the interdisciplinary University Emergency Center
  • 2012Two internationally renowned clinics, The University Cardiovascular Center Freiburg and the Heart Center Bad Krozingen, are teaming up to develop one of the largest cardiovascular centers in Europe